What are cookies?
Cookies are files that can be downloaded onto your device through web pages. They are tools that play an essential role in the provision of numerous services in the information society. Among others, cookies enable a web page to store and recover information about users’ browsing habits or their equipment and, depending on the information obtained, they can be used to recognize users and improve the service offered.
Types of cookies
Depending on the entity managing the domain from which cookies are sent and processing the data obtained, it is possible to distinguish 2 different types of cookie:
- Own Cookies: those sent to users’ terminals from hardware or a domain managed by the publisher itself and from which the service requested is provided.
- Third-party Cookies: those sent to users’ terminals from hardware or a domain not managed by the publisher but by another entity that processes the data obtained through those cookies.
Where cookies are installed from hardware or a domain managed by the publisher itself but the information collected is managed by a third party, the cookies cannot be considered to be own cookies.
There is also a second classification system depending on how long cookies remain stored on the users’ browsers:
- Session Cookies: designed to collect and store information while users are accessing a web site. These are normally used to store information that it is only of interest to retain for the provision of the service requested by users on an individual occasion (e.g. a list of products acquired).
- Persistent Cookies: the data remain stored on the terminal and can be accessed and processed during a period defined by the party responsible for the cookie, which may vary from a few minutes to several years.
Finally, there is another classification of five different types of cookies depending on the purpose for which the data obtained are processed:
- Technical Cookies: those enabling users to browse through a web page, platform or application and use the various options or services there such as, for example, controlling data traffic and communication, identifying the session, accessing restricted-access areas, remembering the items making up an order, carrying out the order purchase process, requesting registration or participation in an event, using security items during browsing, storing contents for dissemination of videos or sound files or for sharing contents through social media.
- Customization Cookies: these enable users to access the service with certain general characteristics predefined depending on a series of criteria specific to users’ terminals such as, for example, the language, type of browser used to access the service, the regional configuration from which the service is accessed, etc.
- Analytical Cookies: these enable the party responsible for them to monitor and analyse the behaviour of the users of the web sites to which they are related. The information collected using cookies of this type is used to measure the activities of web sites, applications, or platforms and for the preparation of browsing profiles for the users of these sites, applications and platforms, in order to introduce improvements on the basis of an analysis of the information about how users use the service.
- Advertising Cookies: these enable the most effective possible management of advertising spaces.
- Behavioural Advertising Cookies: these store information about users’ behaviour obtained through the continuous observation of their browsing habits, thus enabling the development of a specific profile in order to show relevant advertising.
Disabling and eliminating cookies
You have the option to allow, block or eliminate the cookies installed on your equipment by setting up the appropriate options on the browser installed on your device. When you disable cookies, some of the services available may cease to be operational. The way to disable cookies is different for each browser, but generally speaking it can be done from the Tools or Options menu. You can also consult the Help menu on your browser to find step-by-step instructions. Users may choose at any time which cookies they wish to allow to operate on this web site. You can allow, block or eliminate the cookies installed on your equipment by setting up the appropriate options on the browser installed on your computer.
- Microsoft Internet Explorer or Microsoft Edge: http://windows.microsoft.com/es-es/windows-vista/Block-or-allow-cookies
- Mozilla Firefox: http://support.mozilla.org/es/kb/impedir-que-los-sitios-web-guarden-sus-preferencia
- Chrome: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/61416?hl=es
- Safari: http://safari.helpmax.net/es/privacidad-y-seguridad/como-gestionar-las-cookies/
- Opera: http://help.opera.com/Linux/10.60/es-ES/cookies.html
In addition, you can manage the storage of cookies on your browser through tools like the following
In view of this information, it’s possible to carry out the following actions:
- Accept cookies. The notice will not be displayed again when you access any other pages of the portal during the present session.
- Close. The notice is closed on the present page.